Chakras ~ Your Energetic Being
The body contains seven energy centers, known as chakras. Together, these energy centers — data banks, as I like to call them — are an archetypal depiction of your individual maturation through seven distinct stages.
The first chakra is the foundation of emotional and mental health. Your connection to traditional familial beliefs supports the formation of identity and a sense of belonging to a group.
Sacred Truth: All is One
You are connected to all if life. Every choice you make and every belief you hold exerts influence upon the whole of life.
Base of spine, legs, bones, feet, rectum, immune system.
Chronic lower back pain, rectal and immune disorders, depression, multiple personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, addictions, sciatica, varicose veins.
Physical family and group safety and security, ability to provide for life’s necessities and stand up for yourself, feeling at home, social and familial law and order, abandonment fears, family bonding, identity, tribal honor code, support and loyalty.
- What belief patters did you inherit from your family?
- Do all of them still have authority over you?
- What superstitions do you have? Which have more authority over you than your own reasoning ability?
- Do you have a personal code of honor? What is it?
- Have you ever compromised your sense of honor? If so, have you taken steps to heal it?
- Do you have any unfinished business with your family members If yes, what prevents you from healing your family relationships?
- List all the blessings that you feel come from your family.
- If you are a parent, what qualities would you like your children to learn from you?
- What tribal traditions and rituals do you continue?
- What tribal characteristics within yourself would you like to strengthen and develop?
The second chakra is your center of personal power, creativity, sexuality, and finances. Issues of physical survival, control, and one-on-one relationships are at the core of this energy center.
Sacred Truth: Honor One Another
Every relationship you develop, from casual to intimate, helps you become more conscious. No union is without spiritual virtue.
Lower abdomen to navel, sexual organs, large intestine, lower vertebrae, pelvis, appendix, bladder, hip area.
Arthritis, chronic lower back or hip pain, sciatica, pelvic/low back pain, sexual potency, urinary problems, prostate or ovarian/uterine illnesses, fibroids, menopause severity.
Fear of loss of control, through events such as addiction, rape, betrayal, impotence, financial loss, or abandonment by partners or colleagues, ability to take risks, personal identity, blame, guilt, money, sex, power, control, creativity, ethics, honor in relationships, decision-making ability, power to rebel.
- How do you define creativity? Do you consider yourself a creative person? Do you follow through on your creative ideas?
- Do you often direct your creative energies into negative paths of expression? Do you exaggerate or embellish “facts” to support your point of view?
- Are you comfortable with your sexuality? If not, are you working toward healing your sexual imbalances? Do you use people for sexual pleasure, or have you felt used? Do you honor your own sexual boundaries?
- Do you keep your word? What is your personal code of honor? of ethics? Do you negotiate your ethics depending on your circumstances?
- Do you have an impression of the Divine as a force that exerts justice in your life?
The third chakra furthers the development of self esteem and personality, separate from your tribal identity. This is where you learn to draw and maintain strong boundaries and a personal code of honor.
Sacred Truth: Honor Oneself
Be mature and honorable in the relationship you have with yourself and accept responsibility for the person you have become.
Abdomen, stomach, upper intestines, live, gallbladder, kidney, pancreas, adrenal glands, spleen, middle spine behind the solar plexus.
Arthritis, gastric or duodenal ulcers, colon/intestinal problems, pancreatitis/diabetes, chronic or acute indigestion, anorexia, bulimia, liver disfunction, hepatitis, adrenal dysfunction.
Trust, fear, intimidation, self esteem, self-confidence, self-respect, ambition, courage, ability to handle crisis, care of yourself and others, sensitivity to criticism, personal honor, fear of rejection and looking foolish, physical appearance anxieties, strength of character.
- Do you like yourself? What don’t you like and why? Are you actively working to change the things about yourself you don’t like?
- Are you honest? Do you sometimes misrepresent the truth? Why?
- Are you critical of others? Do you blame others as a way of protecting yourself?
- Are you able to admit when you are wrong? Are you open to feedback from other people about yourself?
- Do you need the approval of others If so, why?
Here lies the powerhouse of the human energy system. From its middle position, the fourth chakra mediates between the body and spirit, and determines their health, strength, and balance.
Sacred Truth: Love is Devine Power
Emotional energy — love — is the central power point and true motivator of you body, mind and spirit.
Center of the chest, heart and circulatory system, lungs, shoulders, arms and hands, ribs/breasts, diaphragm, thymus glands.
Congestive heart failure, heart attack, mitral valve prolapse, cardiomegaly, asthma/allergy, lung cancer, bronchial pneumonia, upper back, shoulder pain, breast cancer.
Love, hatred, bitterness, grief, anger, jealousy, inability to forgive, self-centeredness, fears of loneliness, commitment and betrayal, compassion, hope trust, ability to heal yourself and others.
- What emotional memories do you still need to heal?
- What relationships in you life require healing?
- Do you ever use emotional wounds to control people or situations? If so, describe them.
- Have you allowed yourself to be controlled by the wounds of another? Will you let that happen again? What steps are you prepared to take to prevent yourself from being controlled that way again?
- What fears do you have about becoming emotionally healthy?
- Do you associate emotional health with no longer needing an intimate relationship?
- What is your understanding of forgiveness?
- Who are the people you need to forgive, and what prevents you from letting go of the pain you associate with them?
The fifth chakra is the center of your struggle with choice and the ability to release your will to Divine guidance. Its essence is faith – faith in our fears or faith in the Divine.
Sacred Truth: Surrender Personal Will to Divine Will
Your every choice, thought and feeling has biological, environmental, social, personal, and global consequence. Actions motivated by personal will that trusts Divine authority, give you the richest power.
Throat, thyroid, trachea, neck vertebrae, mouth, teeth, gums, jaw, esophagus, parathyroid, hypothalamus.
Raspy throat, chronic sore throat, mouth ulcers, gum difficulties, TMJ, scoliosis, laryngitis, swollen glands, thyroid problems.
Choice and strength of will, personal expression, following your dream, using personal power to create, addiction, judgement, criticism, faith, knowledge, capacity to make decisions.
- What is your definition of being “strong willed”?
- Who are the people that have control over your willpower, and why?
- Do you seek to control others? If so, who are they, and why do you need to control them?
- Can you express yourself honestly and openly when you need to? If not, why not?
- Are you able to sense when you are receiving guidance to act upon?
- Do you trust guidance that has no “proof” of the outcome attached to it?
- What fears do you have about divine guidance?
- Do you pray for assistance with your personal plans, or are you able to say, “I will do what heaven directs me to do”?
- What makes you lose control of your own willpower?
- Do you know you need to change but continually postpone taking action? If so, identify those situations and your reasons for not acting.
The sixth chakra is the energy center of intuition, intellect and reasoning. Known as the “third eye”, it involves our mental abilities, and our psychological skill at evaluating our beliefs and attitudes.
Sacred Truth: Seek Only the Truth
Continually search for the difference between truth and illusion, the two forces present at every moment. Trust what you cannot see far more than what you can see.
Brain, nervous system, eyes, ears, nose, pineal gland, pituitary gland.
Brain tumor, hemorrhage, stroke, neurological disturbances, blindness, deafness, full spinal difficulties, learning disabilities, seizures.
Self-evaluation, truth, intellectual abilities, feelings of inadequacy, openness to the ideas of others, ability to learn from experience, emotional intelligence.
- Do you often interpret the actions of others in a negative way? If so, why?
- What negative patterns continually surface in your relationships with others?
- What attitudes do you have that disempower you?
- What beliefs do you continue to accept that you know are not true?
- Are you judgmental? If so, what situations or relationships bring out that tendency?
- Do you make excuses for behaving in negative ways?
- Recall instances in which a more profound level of truth than you were used to hearing was revealed. Was the experience intimidating?
- What beliefs and attitudes in yourself would you like to change? Can you commit to making those changes?
- Are you comfortable thinking about your life in impersonal terms?
- Do you know you need to change but continually postpone taking action? If so, identify those situations and your reasons for not acting?
The seventh chakra is our connection to our spiritual nature and our capacity to allow spirituality to become an integral part of our physical lives.
Sacred Truth: Live in the Present Moment
Achieve a personal relationship with the divine. All physical, psychological and emotional illusions or fears need to be removed from your life. Let go of the past, do not anticipate the future and live in the presence of the Divine.
Muscular system, skeletal system and skin.
Energetic disorders, spiritual depression, chronic exhaustion that is not linked to a physical disorder and extreme sensitivities to light, sound and other environmental factors.
Ability to trust life, values, ethics, courage, humanitarianism, selflessness, ability to soo the larger pattern, faith, inspiration, spirituality and devotion.
- What guidance have you sought during meditation for praying?
- What type of guidance do you fear the most?
- Do you bargain with the Divine? Do you complain to the Divine more than you express gratitude?
- Are you devoted to a particular spiritual path? If not, do you feel the need to find one?
- Do you believe that your God is more authentic than the Divine in other spiritual traditions?
- Are you waiting for the Divine to send you an explanation for your painful experiences? If so, list them.
- How would your life change if the Divine answered your questions by saying: “I have no intention of giving you insight at this point in your life”? What would you do then?
- Have you started and stopped a meditation practice? If so, what are the reasons that you failed to maintain it?
- What spiritual truths are you aware of that you do not live by? List them.
- Are you afraid of a closer relationship with the Divine because of changes it might trigger in your life?
Your Daily Practice – Morning
Each day is a new beginning. Your task today is to learn the practice of consciously entering your body and your day. Begin by focusing attention on your entire day from morning to evening.
Review your plans for today:
- Think about where you need to be and with whom you need to be.
- Do you feel stressful about this day or do you feel comfortable?
- Do you feel prepared for today’s events?
- Are you projecting fears and expectations into this day?
Your First Chakra
- Allow the truth ‘All is One’ to penetrate your body
- Drop your attention to the root of your spine.
- Feel yourself magnetically connected to every part of life:
- The fragrance of the earth
- The oceans and rivers
- The air
- Your family and friends
- The planet
- Identify your fears for today and pull them into your consciousness.
- Acknowledge the strength of the energetic circuitry connecting you to all life.
- Visualize that strength replacing your fears for today.
- Standing tall.
Your Second Chakra
- Allow the truth ‘Honor One Another’ to penetrate your body.
- Move your attention gradually up your spine to your lower back, hips and genital area.
- Feel the fire and vibrant energy of this area.
- Focus that energy toward the key areas of this chakra:
- Relationships: Who am I going to be with today?
- Work: What am I going to do today?
- Money: How do I feel about it today?
- Creativity: What am I going to create today?
Your Third Chakra
- Allow the truth ‘Honor Yourself’ to penetrate your body.
- Breathe deeply as you shift your attention to your solar plexus and abdominal area.
- Focus on your self-esteem and how you feel about yourself today:
- Am I feeling strong? Frightened?
- Do I need someone’s approval today?
- Will I need to be courageous?
- Remind yourself of your boundaries, dignity, inherent honor, and integrity.
- Make a spiritual promise in terms of how you want to live your life today.
Your Fourth Chakra
- Allow the truth ‘Love is Divine Power’ to penetrate your body.
- Raise your attention up to your heart, the center of love.
- Welcome the people you’re scheduled to meet today into your meditation:
- Where you feel love for them, send more, boundless love.
- For those you feel challenged to love, say the prayer , “Let me learn more about how to love them today.”
- Think about who you need to forgive today; release the rage, bitterness or hurt feelings from your heart.
- Tell yourself “Forgiveness is not easy, but today I ask for one more step toward that goal.”
- Release the prayer that you want to look at today through your heart and not through your fears; that you want to feel gratitude for events that do or don’t happen as they should.
- Keep your attention on the right way to walk into this day, with a heart full of love.
Your Fifth Chakra
- Allow the truth ‘Surrender Personal Will to Divine Will’ to penetrate your body.
- Move your attention to your throat area.
- Define your needs and desires for today and let go of doing the same for others.
- Make the choice to love this day instead of fearing it.
- Envision choices that result in positive attitudes, memories, and feelings about yourself.
- Vow to express yourself honestly.
Your Sixth Chakra
- Allow ‘Seek Only Truth’ to penetrate your body
- Focus your attention upwards to your mind – the world behind your eyes.
- Go beyond the limits of the rational mind and accept the Divine’s Plan for you.
- Prepare your mind to enter the day feeling good and not generating illusions, false truths or fears.
- For today, release old grudges, beliefs, attitudes and patterns that no longer serve you.
- Remember that everything in your life is there for a reason and to teach you truth.
Your Seventh Chakra
- Allow the truth ‘Live in the Present Moment’ to penetrate your body.
- Pull your attention up and out, and hold the idea ‘live in present time.’
- Let go of the past and do not anticipate the future.
- During the day, practice the discipline of telling yourself, “This is all I have. This is all there is to my life right now.”
Invoke this prayer:
I am committed to feeling a bond with each person I meet, to respecting my own integrity and honor, to living within the energy of love and compassion and returning to that energy when I don’t feel it, to making wise and blessed choices with my will, to maintaining perceptions of wisdom and non-judgment, to release the need to know why things happen as they do, and not to project expectations over how I want this day to be and how I want others to be. And finally, my last prayer, ‘to trust the Divine’. And with that I bless my day with gratitude and love.
Your Daily Practice – Evening
As you prepare to enter sleep, review how you used your energy during the day, how you invested your spirit, what you learned about the investments you should or shouldn’t have made.
Review the events of today:
- Think about how you feel about yourself and your life now that the day is over.
- Ask yourself, “How do I open myself to receive guidance as I sleep?”
Your Seventh Chakra
- Focus your attention on the crown of your head where your energy connects most directly to spiritual guidance.
- Return to the truth that there is a divine reason for every single experience in your life.
- Reflect on the million things that happened to you today and be appreciative of them all.
- Remember that everything is a divine design for our learning and for our blessing.
Your Sixth Chakra
- Focus your attention on your mind.
- Ask yourself, “Did I invest my energy today in any negative attitudes, beliefs or perceptions?”
- If so, identify them, take a deep breath, call that energy back and release it with the thought “I don’t need this negativity.”
- Review any and all judgments you made about yourself or others, take a very deep breath and release them.
- Look at the positive things you invested in today and be grateful.
- Repeat the prayer, “I release the desire to know why things happen as they do and the need to have my expectations met.”
Your Fifth Chakra
- Move your attention to your center of will and choices, your throat area.
- Did you make choices that enhanced your life today? If so, bless those choices, take a deep breath and decide to put your energy into more of them.
- What choices drained your energy? Review them, call your spirit back and tell it that you disempower those choices and release them.
- Ask yourself “Did I speak with honesty and integrity?” If not, call your spirit back and release those words.
- Take a deep breath and direct your will toward blessing the whole of your own life and all the people who are in your life.
- Finally, say the prayer, “I release my will to divine guidance.”
Your Fourth Chakra
- Take a deep breath to the center of your emotions, your heart.
- Review all of your emotions; are you angry? hurt? sad? Release all the negative feelings so you don’t take them into your sleep with you.
- Move into and feel the energies of love, compassion, appreciation of other people, and love of this life. Envision those energies as rose petals and walk through your entire day with the image that you are leaving those petals at every place you have walked.
- Concentrate now on attitudes and feelings about love, on your need to be loved, and on people you love dearly. Ask your spirit to enter only into loving thoughts through the night.
- How have you done with forgiveness today? Place each person you need to forgive in front of you and to each say, “This is what I need to forgive you for and I am working at doing that”.
- Now flip the coin and ask forgiveness of those you have harmed.
- Picture leaving the rose petals with the prayer “I want to be at peace with you”.
- Say the prayer, “Teach me more about the divine power of love as I sleep”.
Your Third Chakra
- Move your attention to the center of self, your solar plexus.
- Ask yourself, “Did I take care of my physical body today? Did I maintain the attitudes and belief patterns that best suit me?”
- Take a deep breath, stretch out and feel the entire strength and health of your body. Identify any areas of weakness and loss of power. Call your spirit back.
- Did you live up to your honor code or do you have to remind yourself to live it better tomorrow?
- Were you judgmental or critical of yourself or others today or did you extend kindness and compassion?
- Pray “Give me guidance on who I am and what my task is in this life; why I am with the people I am and how to best serve that role”.
Your Second Chakra
- Direct your thoughts to your spine, lower back, hips and genital area.
- Do you have any negativity that you’re carrying in regards to your relationships? Finances? Job? Creative ventures?
- Feel all those fears, go into them and ask yourself, “Why am I so afraid of change?”
- Release those fears with a prayer of trust to the Divine: “Move into my life. Change what you need because I am here for service. I may fear the changes but I trust the changes.”
- Now focus on the positive side of relationships, finances and creativity. Celebrate all the people whom you love and enjoy, the blessings you have and the ideas you have brought forth into the world.
- Conclude with this prayer: “I offer myself as a gift-giver; let me use the gifts given me by the Divine to serve and honor others.”
Your First Chakra
- Focus on the base of your spine, your connection to Gaia, force of nature.
- Place your body in a relaxed position and request Gaia,”Watch my body and give me guidance as I seek to resolve the issues I’ve put forth”.
- Take a deep breath and imagine your spirit beginning to lift and leave your body. Feel yourself unhooking as your energy begins to move through all your chakras, out the top of your head.
- Stand over your body watching it sleep and then allow your spirit to let go, with the blessing, “I’ll see you in the morning”.